Allentown Fair Queen Contest
The Great Allentown Fair is currently accepting entry forms for the Fair Queen contest. The Allentown Fair Queen contest is for females between the ages of 16 and 20 years who are residents of Lehigh, Northampton or Berks counties. Each year the Fair Queen serves as a royal spokesperson of agriculture at The Great Allentown Fair. A $1,500.00* scholarship will be awarded to the winner along with a $200.00** scholarship for First Alternate.
The phases of competition to be held on OPENING NIGHT of The Great Allentown Fair on
Tuesday, August 27, 2019 include:
Personal Interview - Each contestant will have a private 15-minute interview with the three person judging panel asking the contestant bio¬graphical, agricultural and fair industry questions. Contestants will be judged on their conversational ability, answers to questions, appearance/poise, activities and knowledge of the fair industry.
Evening Gown/Introduction - This segment is conducted on-stage on Opening Night of The Great Allentown Fair in front of an audience and judging panel. Each contestant will give a 30 second personal introduction of themselves to the crowd. Judging criteria will include content, stage presence and poise.
Speech Presentation - Each contestant will present an on-stage speech on the topic “Why You Should Come to The Great Allentown Fair.” The speech must be 3-5 minutes in length and will be timed. This should be a persuasive speech suitable for an adult audience. Props that enhance this speech are permitted but not required. Contestants will be judged on the effectiveness of their public speaking skills, not on “entertainment.” Overhead projectors or Powerpoint presentations are not permitted. Contestants will be judged on their speech content (to include agriculture), speech format, ability to convey a message, public speaking ability and poise/presence.
Impromptu Question - Each contestant will be required to answer the same impromptu question in front of the judges and audience
Each Fair Queen contestant must:
- Be a female who is a U.S. citizen and a resident of Lehigh, Northampton or Berks counties in the state of Pennsylvania.
- Be at least age 16, but no older than 20 years of age as of June 1 of the year entering the local contest.
- Have not been a local Fair Queen winner, nor a former State Queen contestant.
- Not hold any other title for any other commodity, group or pageant.
- Have her parent(s) or guardian(s) consent to enter competition.
- Be single, have never been married, have not been pregnant nor given birth to a child.
- Act in accordance with the Pennsylvania Fair Queen “Behavior Policy”
- Meet all time commitments, Queen Obligations and “Dress Code” as set forth by the Pennsylvania Fair Queen Program.
Fair Queen Obligations
- The winner will reign for one year.
- She must be available to attend various functions during the 2019 Great Allentown Fair deemed necessary by The Great Allentown Fair officials.
- She must attend and participate in other civic activities and functions throughout her reign as deemed necessary by The Great Allentown Fair officials.
- The Allentown Fair Queen must attend and participate in the Pennsylvania State Fair Queen Contest to be held in Hershey, PA in January 2020, at the expense of The Great Allentown Fair. (The Great Allentown Fair will supply a chaperone if needed).
- She must attend the crowning of the 2020 Allentown Fair Queen.
Dates to RememberApplication Due - June 30, 2019
Completed contest application forms are due to The Great Allentown Fair office by June 30, 2019. Typed applications are only accepted. Please see link below for the application form as well as the Allentown Fair Office address.Informational Meeting - Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 4 p.m. - Mandatory Attendance
This is an informational gathering session that will include an informative discussion about the Fair Queen program along with the ability to answer any questions you may have. Topics discussed will include responsibilities of the Allentown Fair Queen and contest agenda. A PROMOTIONAL PHOTOGRAPH will be taken (please dress appropriately, a casual dress or sundress). A parent or guardian is requested to attend with the contestant. The meeting will be held at the Fair Office located behind the Ritz Barbecue next to the Grandstand Building and Farmers Market, 302 N. 17th Street Allentown, PA 18104Community Service – TBD - Mandatory Attendance
Rehearsal: Sunday, August 25, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. at the RCN Farmerama Theater on the Allentown Fairgrounds. (Gate 6) This is mandatory for all contestants.
Contest – Opening Night - Tuesday – August 27, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.
The Fair Queen Contest will be held at the RCN Farmerama Theatre after Opening Ceremonies at the Fair. Interviews will be conducted at 1:30 p.m. and a judge’s reception will follow. The contestants will be introduced at Opening Ceremonies at 5 p.m. The contest will start at 7:30 p.m. and is open to the public with Fair admission.
Congratulations to the 2018 Great Allentown Fair Queen McKenzie Corinn Hagenbuch!
Questions and More Information:
Fair Queen Coordinator
Email Applications to:
Send Applications via mail to:
Allentown Fair Queen Contest,
302 N. 17th St., Allentown, PA 18104
610-433-7541 (Fair Office)