Allentown Fair Queen Contest
The phases of competition to be held on OPENING NIGHT, Wednesday, August 31, 2022 include:
Personal Interview - Each contestant will have a private 15-minute interview with the judging panel utilizing bio¬graphical information and other questions pertaining to the Fair and agricultural industry. Contestants will be judged on their conversational ability, answers to questions, appearance/poise, activities and knowledge of the fair industry.
Evening Gown/Introduction - This segment is conducted on stage, in front of an audience and the judging panel. Each contestant makes a personal introduction to the audience, similar to that which a Fair Queen would give when visiting a fair or other public event. The contestant has approximately 30 seconds to make this introduction. Judging criteria will include content, stage presence and appearance.
Speech Presentation - Each contestant will present an onstage speech on the topic “Why You Should Come to The Great Allentown Fair.” The speech must be 3-5 minutes in length and will be timed. This should be a persuasive speech suitable for an adult audience. Props that enhance this speech are permitted but not required. Contestants will be judged on the effectiveness of their public speaking skills, not on “entertainment.” Overhead projectors or PowerPoint presentations are not permitted. Contestants will be judged on their speech content (to include agriculture), speech format, ability to convey a message, public speaking ability and poise/presence.
Impromptu Question - Each contestant will be required to answer the same impromptu question in front of the judges and audience.
Each Fair Queen contestant must:
- Be a biological female who is a U.S. citizen and a resident of Lehigh, Northampton or Berks counties in the state of Pennsylvania.
- Be at least age 16, but no older than 20 years of age as of June 1 of the year entering the local contest.
- Have not been a local Fair Queen winner, nor a former State Queen contestant.
- Not hold any other title for any other commodity, group or pageant.
- Have her parent(s) or guardian(s) consent to enter competition.
- Be single, never married, have not been pregnant nor given birth to a child.
- Act in accordance with the PA Fair Queen “Behavior Policy.”
- Meet all time commitments, Queen obligations and “Dress Code” as set forth by the PA Fair Queen Program.
Fair Queen Obligations
- The winner will reign for one year.
- She must be available to attend various functions during the 2022 Great Allentown Fair deemed necessary by The Great Allentown Fair officials.
- She must attend and participate in other civic activities and functions throughout her reign as deemed necessary by The Great Allentown Fair officials.
- The Allentown Fair Queen must attend and participate in the PA State Fair Queen Contest to be held in Hershey, PA in January 2023, at the expense of the Allentown Fair Association. (The Fair Association will supply a chaperone if needed.)
- She must attend the crowning of the 2023 Allentown Fair Queen.
Dates to Remember
Application Due – July 15, 2022
Completed Contest application forms are due to The Great Allentown Fair office by July 15, 2022. Please use this link generated by Google Forms. 2022 FAIR QUEEN APPLICATION
Informational Meeting – Saturday, July 23, 2023 at 4 p.m. - Mandatory Attendance
An informational gathering session. Along with a general discussion and question & answer session, topics discussed will include responsibilities of the Allentown Fair Queen and contest agenda. A PROMOTIONAL PHOTOGRAPH will be taken (please dress appropriately, a casual dress or sundress). A parent or guardian is requested to attend with the contestant. The meeting will be held at the Fair Office located behind the Ritz Barbecue next to the Grandstand (Farmers Market) 302 N. 17th Street Allentown, PA 18104
Community Service – Saturday, August 6, 2022
REHEARSAL: Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 5:30 p.m. at the Astound Broadband Farmerama Stage on the Fairgrounds.
Contest – Opening Night - Wednesday August 31, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
The Fair Queen Contest will be held at the Astound Broadband Farmerama Theatre after Opening Ceremonies at the Fair. Interviews will be conducted at 1:30 p.m. and a judge’s reception will follow. The Contest will start at 7:30 p.m. and is open to the public. Rehearsal will be on Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 5:30 pm and is mandatory.
Contest Entry Instructions
To enter The Great Allentown Fair Queen contest, please use this link. 2022 FAIR QUEEN APPLICATION. Once completed the form is uploaded to our committee. You should receive a confirmation email that it has been uploaded. If you have additional questions, please call Cheryl Urmy, Fair Queen Coordinator at 610-248-6678 or email:
Thank you to our scholarship sponsors: Lehigh-Northampton Pomona Grange #68 and the Allentown Fairgrounds Farmers Market.
Congratulations to the 2021
Great Allentown Fair Queen MacKenzie Blatt!
If you would like MacKenzie to visit your school or organization to speak about agriculture and our community please contact me at
Questions and More Information:
Fair Queen Coordinator
Please use this link generated by Google Forms. 2022 FAIR QUEEN APPLICATION
Email Applications to:
Send Applications via mail to:
Allentown Fair Queen Contest,
302 N. 17th St., Allentown, PA 18104
610-433-7541 (Fair Office)